Sarasota Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Though they account for a small portion of the total vehicle collisions that take place in Florida every year, motorcycle accidents are among the deadliest traffic-related incidents. Data gathered by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) indicates that, out of the 193 crashes that occur in Sarasota County every year, almost 91 percent lead to fatalities or injuries for the rider.
Fortunately, you do have legal remedies under Florida personal injury laws, including the right to seek monetary damages for your losses. Our lawyers at Barbas, Nuñez, Sanders, Butler & Hovsepian, Attorneys and Counselors at Law can assist with the process, from filing an insurance claim to representing you in court. Please contact us to set up a no-cost case assessment with a Sarasota motorcycle accident lawyer today. Some background information on your options may also be useful.
Driver Carelessness and Motorcycle Accidents
Negligence is behind most motor vehicle collisions, including motorcycle crashes. In legal terms, this means you need to prove the other motorist failed to exercise reasonable care when driving, and this breach was the direct cause of the accident. The underlying legal concepts of negligence can be complicated, but some examples may be useful. A driver may breach the legal duty of care and cause a motorcycle accident by:
- Drunk driving;
- Failing to yield to a motorcycle rider;
- Erratically changing lanes;
- Distracted driving;
- Running red lights or stop signs; and,
- Many other negligent acts.
Still, you must be aware of how your own conduct as a motorcycle rider could impact your claim. If you failed to exercise reasonable care, your compensation may be reduced due to Florida’s comparative fault law.
Seeking Compensation for Your Rights
There’s a wide range of monetary damages available if you can prove that the other driver was at fault in causing the motorcycle accident. Our attorneys at Barbas, Nuñez, Sanders, Butler & Hovsepian can explain in more detail, but your compensation generally falls into two categories:
- Economic Damages: These are your definite, out-of-pocket losses that you sustain as the victim of a motorcycle crash. They include your medical expenses for surgery, hospitalization, pain medications, and related costs, as well as lost wages.
- Non-Economic Damages: This category involves the losses that are subjective and personal to your situation. You may not have receipts to show a dollar value, but your life is changed in many ways for the worse after a motorcycle collision. Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, emotional distress, scarring, and diminished quality of life.
Contact a Sarasota Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Regarding Your Rights and Remedies
This summary of how Florida motorcycle crashes work should be informative, but there’s much more to the legal process than you might expect. Instead of putting your rights at risk, allow our team at Barbas, Nuñez, Sanders, Butler & Hovsepian, Attorneys and Counselors at Law to take on the complicated legal challenges. For more information on our legal services, please contact our Sarasota office at 800.227.2275 or visit us online. We can schedule a free consultation to learn more about your circumstances.